Sunday, August 15, 2010

PB 10 for 10 Reflections

I wanted to say just one more time thank you to everyone for joining us and posting or stopping by to share or read our favorite must have picture books, our top ten lists.  Cathy and I have received and appreciate all the positive feedback and participation.  When Cathy asked me about my top 10, little did I know I would be co-hosting a kidlit blogging event and loved the excitement it generated.  I think it was a perfect time of year when most of us are gearing up for a new school year.  I know I found it helpful and reserved some new titles from my library to use this year.  I hope others did too. 

We had a request to repeat this again and I think we are planning on doing just that!  Yea!  When Cathy mentioned organizing a jog, I honestly froze a bit at figuring out something new in technology.  I thought, I'll let her figure it out and I can do what I'm comfortable with or had seen done with Poetry Friday or Nonfiction Mondays.   Both events I join every once in awhile and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew, I was cohosting an event.  I think the jog is eye candy for the blogging world.  It is visually appealing and easy to navigate to quickly see the powerful thinking of many.  The number of hits the jog has received is overwhelming.  Which brings me to a realization I knew.  Technology is a powerful tool to connect people.  Technology is a powerful tool to share ideas.  Technology is a powerful tool to assist us in our planning and teaching.  Technology is something I need to continue my journey with. 

So, during your upcoming year whether you are in a classroom, a library, or with your own children at home...look for those top ten favorites.  I think these lists could change.  I think I will find old titles that I revisit or are new to me during my coming year that could make a top ten.  I know there will be some great new books published this year to look for.  It was so nice to see the twist people put on a top ten list, making this project personalized for them.  Isn't that the best way to take ownership for something, adding your own ideas?   I think it's a powerful tool to try and have our children do.  A top ten list doesn't have to stay the same, that's why we need about 365 days to study picture books.  We hope to have you join us next year, you guessed it, on August 10, 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Well, the classroom is reasonably prepared and I'm back to catch up on blogs. Thanks again for joining me in this fun event! I've had positive comments as I've returned to school from teachers who loved the timing of the event.

    You are so right about technology. I learned so much about technology through this event --- but, like you, I learned the power of technology for sharing information. It has really demonstrated to me the importance of helping students to learn to use technology effectively to create and share messages.

    I'm so happy to be part of the "blogosphere". It's like a continual conversation, and I'm learning so much. Thanks again, Mandy! Happy New School Year!!

    ReplyDelete