Thursday, January 6, 2011

An Orange in January

While looking for books, I rediscovered An Orange in January by Dianna Hutts Aston.  I heard about this book from Katied at Creative Literacy and was surprised to not find it on her blog.  It's a perfect book for winter reading.  The readers follow the journey of an orange from orange blossom trees to the end of its' journey a child's lunchbox.  The journey includes a little bit of information about the growing process.  It includes information about how the orange travels to the grocery store.  The illustrations done by Julie Maren are colorful, bright, and show movement in acrylic paint.  This book is perfect for teaching economic concepts to elementary students.  It was included in a bibliography for my first article at Choice Literacy.  That article is available to the public, Teaching Economics Through Children's Literature, enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post! I always love hearing about good books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy~
    I love the books you share, you keep my class in fresh new reading! Can't wait to check this one out, I think it will be the perfect tie in to our science unit!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great book for the snow day we are having! I've been a lurker at your blog for a bit now- not even sure how I found you but as part of Mother Reader's Comment Challenge, I'm starting to comment so a belated thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacey you are welcome. I'm chuckling at the thought of lurkers out there. Thanks for leaving a comment, one does wonder if anyone is reading. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete