Wednesday, March 19, 2014

SLICE 2014 - 19 of 31 A Blessing

Half of our buses are late daily.  Packing up 23 kindergarteners is always busy.  We try packing up slowly.  Sometimes we have to pack in a hurry.  Sometimes we pack up just right.  The funny thing about packing up is I can plan to do it one of these three ways and it always ends up another way.  It's a lot of work for little ones to gather all of their belongings and to bundle up.  Navigating the hallway with all my little ducklings is always an adventure.  They are able to do it now with much more ease than earlier in the school year.  This is my most worrisome time of the day.  I pray they all get home safely.  I walk backwards in the hallway because I am worried I might lose one of them.  It takes so much navigating and negotiating to get outside that once we get there, I really appreciate when all the buses are there.  Today, we had to wait a bit.  While we were waiting a guest teacher for another classroom asked me if I was their teacher and wanted to know if they were in kindergarten or first grade.  I said I was their teacher and they are kindergarteners.  She turned to me and said, "a blessing."  Two little words, from a stranger were good words to ponder at the end of a long day.

4 comments:

  1. I love those two words. They encapsulate what an honor it is to be a teacher to small children. At the end of a day, I am sure that you feel blessed and enriched because of your precious little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can picture all of your kids lined up behind you. I taught kindergarten for two years. Two exhausting years, but two years filled with joy and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post. I see the love and concern you have for these little ones and I'm sure it shows through you to them. What a great two words - a blessing. I work with preschoolers and I totally get it. Thanks for sharing your slice today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dismissal. I'm picturing you walking down the hall with your little line following close behind. "A blessing" --- yes. I'm thinking she might have been talking about you. ;o)

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete