Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Slice of Life - Slowing down a beating heart.

My heart beats a bit faster, right now.

The end of the year brings lots to do in a teacher's world.  We are celebrating our nonfiction writing and have been collaborating with our art and music teacher to create a sharing performance for parents.  We've used water colors and black sharpies to illustrate our gorilla research books.  I am holding special reading meetings with each student and celebrating their reading growth using the Developmental Reading Assessment.  We are working on number sense and fluidly making arrangements for ten.  Then there is all the teacher paperwork behind the scenes to complete.  We have just four days together and I'm feeling a lot of, we aren't done yet.

However, my heart beats a bit faster, right now for other reasons.

My oldest is graduating from high school on Saturday.  We just did our senior photos tonight.  Thank goodness for some dental work progress and the age of digital editing and sharing.  My middle daughter is wrapping up one softball season to start another and she is graduating from middle school the following week.  My youngest is graduating from elementary school the same day next week.   I have moments when my heart slows down and I'm caught off guard, fighting tears.  Tears are just a way to release a lot of goodness.

I've realized I need to find ways to slow down my beating heart.

1.  Hold our graduation party a week after school is out for me and enjoy our family and friends who are coming from out of town and in town.

2.  Move 11 year old birthday party a week and half past the actual birthday, after the graduation party.

3.  Take a blogging vacation.  I'll be back June 3rd.  I might stop by via twitter and instagram but it will be less.

Have a great three weeks everyone, and enjoy this time of year.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for hosting our writing community.








6 comments:

  1. I have a colleague who has a college and high school graduation the same week-"argh" she yells. A long while ago, my son and daughter-in-law married on Memorial Day Weekend, four days before school was out. I UNDERSTAND! Every bit is wonderful, will be wonderful, but there is just so much that can be crammed into 24 hours. Best wishes, congratulations for all those marvelous celebrations, MOM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mandy, that's a lot of change on the horizon. I'm glad you figured out a way to slow things down a bit. Treasure each of these special events and enjoy your respite from the blogging world. It's hard to believe that some of you are so close to the end of your school year. We still have 5 1/2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the line "Tears are just the way to release a lot of goodness." I think you're taking a sensible approach to being able to slow down and enjoy it all. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your choice - slowing down and allowing your heart to take it all in. Time will continue but how we choose to manage is so important. Treasure all the memories and build several more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy the break - it's the perfect time for you to focus on that's most important - your kids and this special family time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing what your blog title tells you to do -- enjoy and embrace!

    ReplyDelete