Friday, March 6, 2015

Slice of Life - Dull is Good

I don't know when but somewhere along my teaching journey I've learned to dislike, avoid, and find the pencil sharpener annoying.  It's loud.  It disrupts my thinking.  It turns the quiet into swarm of buzzing bees.  At the end of the day today, I decided to take some moments to myself and work off a long week, parent teacher conferences, and indoor recess teacher exhaustion.  I cleaned my table tops and noticed the pencils needed sharpening.  They always need sharpening because I dislike, avoid, and find the pencil sharpener annoying.  However, I realized to have the tables ready for Monday the pencils needed sharpening.  As I stood sharpening the yellow sticks, I kept thinking about finding the good and then it came to me.  Dull pencils are a sign of lots of writing.  Sharp pencils make writing neater and thinking sharper in appearance.  Sharp pencils might be worth carefully orchestrating that swarm of buzzing bees.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering and organizing this writing challenge.

3 comments:

  1. I can't write with a dull pencil, so I've embraced mechanical pencils. I love the repetition of your feelings toward the pencil sharpener. It then is such a contrast to your realization at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally love your news perspective I'm going to borrow it for all the pencils in my room without erasers. Great revisions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand the sound either, but thanks for providing a better perspective on it!

    ReplyDelete