Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Slice of Life March Challenge Warm Up

I'm cruising along with my two four legged furry friends.  We are rounding the road and making our second pass of the pond.  I stop - a bit startled.  I start wondering, how did I miss this white sparkling spot glistening on top of the pond.  I never linger on an early morning walk, but I did today.  The spot I'm observing is a perfect circle with flickering horizontal lines.  I look up and see the moon - my spot is the reflection of the moon.  As I unlinger, I figure out it's the angle in which we were walking that let me see the moons reflection.  It soon disappeared as we continued cruising on our journey.  I hope the sparkling and glistening spot and that moment to linger guides my day.


I had the privilege to spend time with Amy Ludwig VanDerwater this past weekend of the The Poem Farm and was inspired to notice more, write about those observations, and collect writing.  I also usually write on my laptop for a post but today I used my special notebook to write first.  I think I have a little niche I want to think about during the March Slice of Life Challenge.  Let the writing begin.

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers group for hosting and encouraging a writing community.

12 comments:

  1. This piece reminds me of the snow piece you wrote awhile back… you build tension in your piece with quick short lines followed by long lingering lines. Looking forward to reading your writing in March!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been stunning. And how lovely that you could linger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you explore and play with words, I will take note and learn too. I love the sound of this phrase, "white sparkling spot glistening." I just keep repeating them over and over. Love that you noticed and lingered this day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something lovely about capturing words in a notebook first, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't written in a notebook in quite some time by free choice and it was much easier than I thought. As I erased a bit, I thought no record here like in Google Drive. :)

      Delete
  5. Noticing and recording - March challenge invites us all to do both more than usually. You showed that slowing down and lingering a bit longer allows beautiful discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I love the word "unlinger" - is that a word?

    May I use this for one of my Be Inspired posts during the March Slice of Life Story Challenge? Please email me permission at danamurphy143[at]gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about unlinger today as I walked and I thought probably not, it actually comes up as not a word but it really has meaning - stop lingering. I'll email you.

      Delete
  7. So lovely, Mandy, the way yo noticed...and the way you captured that moment in your slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara, a bit inspired by our dinner talk.

      Delete
  8. Love that you saw the reflection of the Winter Moon on the pond. It is so important to take a breath, slow down, and notice. Thanks for sharing that you managed to do exactly that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, too, love the contrast between "lingering" and "unlingering." It is perfect. Thank you for sharing this moment of beauty with us. I wonder if it would have been different if written on a laptop. xx

    ReplyDelete