Monday, September 12, 2016

Hundreds Chart Resource {Math Monday}

Last week I was doing some addition and subtraction work during math workshop and discovered a third of my class was having difficulty taking ten away from any given double digit number.  I was a bit surprised.  I started to try and figure out why but quickly decided it didn't matter.  What did matter is I needed to help my students become more flexible with numbers from 0 - 100.  I knew the perfect tool I wanted to use was a hundreds chart.  

I knew the perfect resource I had at home and hadn't really  used yet was, It Makes Sense! Using the Hundreds Chart to Build Number Sense by Melissa Conklin and Stephanie Sheffield.  Whenever, I want to understand math mathematics more as a teacher or have my students develop their understandings further I always go to a Math Solutions resource.  

It Makes Sense! Using the Hundreds Chart to Build Number Sense begins with a How to Use this Resource section which grounds a teacher's reasons for using a hundreds chart; we want to help students build a mental model of our number system.  The goal of the lessons provided in this resource is to give students chances to think, reason, and talk about numbers.  The lessons do build on each other and there are activities you can use to mirror or follow up a lesson with.  These would be great for small group work or independent work during math workshop.

I have some friends who are uncomfortable teaching math and I have some friends who love teaching math.  This book is for everyone.  Each lesson has these components; overview, related lessons, key questions, teaching directions, teaching tip, technology tip, differentiating you instruction ideas, extensions, time savers, and ideas for when to end the lesson.  This list looks exhausting but I promise the text for each section is short and sweet.  Another added bonus within this book are pages filled with teacher reflection for each grade level K-2.  I don't know about you but I'm always looking for examples for the specific grade level I'm teaching that year. 

This past Friday I did Lesson 2, Building the Hundreds Chart (Version 2) and my students loved it.  They were totally engaged in math talk.  I learned which students really struggled adding or subtracting ten because they waited and would only place their numbers when there was an adding or subtracting one situation.  I will revisit this lesson with a small guided math group or two this week.  Today we are going to do arrow math together and then I'm going to use it for the rest of the week as an option during math workshop.  I envision writing arrow math clues for each other in hopes of creating more flexible mathematicians.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your resources. I am totally trying to use "hands on" math with my students. I just found Clothesline Math https://clotheslinemath.com/ for my students and it has been amazing. I appreciate the Monday Math posts.

    ReplyDelete