Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Paper, Pen, Planning {5 of 31 Slice of Life}

I sat down in the quiet public library after a busy day and began taking things out of my backpack to work.  My daughter was at a two hour meeting and I had plans to be productive.  I took a left to right zip motion and found nothing.  I took another left to right zip motion and found nothing.  I sat in silence and pondered.  Ugh.  My laptop was in the car.  I was honestly too tired and too cold to walk outside.  I pondered about the work with me and realized I didn't need the laptop for some of it.  I was going to look at a math pre-assessment and uncover what my students might need about standard measurement.  I got that done without making a Google Sheets by question and made two piles based on concepts.  Still no laptop and I had my favorite math teaching resource.  I found the back of a piece of paper, a mustard colored Papermate flair tip marker and began a weekly calendar; plotting out lessons for two groups each day.  Scratches - no standards, no details - just lesson ideas.  One group is going step by step and the other is a bit accelerated and doing a day of problem solving.  I finished this work and felt more accomplished than I have in a while.  Maybe technology isn't always needed.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community.

2 comments:

  1. I love technology and feel there is a sense of creativity that can live within it, but there is something a bit freeing about making plans with flair pens and paper. I know that mustard color and it is fabulous! Glad you were productive. I found myself at the public library today as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Tried and true, natural, and easy.

    ReplyDelete