Wednesday, January 12, 2011

DK Readers - Garden Friends

I've enjoyed DK books previously but just discovered DK Readers, Learning to Read pre-level 1 and I'm very excited.  I discovered Garden Friends while looking for books that used labels to help promote our reading of words.  I found the text to use high frequency words and a repetitive phrase or phrases on each page.  There are two sentences per two page spread and easily accessible for young readers.  Garden Friends uses the sentence starters, "Hello, ___________.  You are ___________."  The realistic photographs are fabulous and then there are two or three labels per garden friend.  The last page of each book includes a picture word list.  Another example and opportunity for my young readers to connect words to pictures, reading labels.

No comments:

Post a Comment