Monday, February 28, 2011

Trout Are Made of Trees

I was thrilled to find Trout Are Made of Trees by April Pulley Sayre on sale at the conference over the weekend.  This is a perfect text for helping all students understand the food web.  I think the illustrations make it accessible for our youngest learners.  Collage illustrations beautifully guide this text and bring the content to life.  I find the first page to provoke a lot questions and wonderings... "Trout are made of trees."  A simple text filled with content rich vocabulary provides lots of opportunities for discussion and learning.  Here are a few words I think are worthy of discussing; bacteria, shredders, algae, predators, caddisflies, and hatchlings.   The end of the book the reader finds more nonfiction information about The Trout Life Cycle, Be a Stream Hero! and Resources for Further Information.  One of my teaching mentors loved to take his students to the river and go kick seining.  I've done it with children and what a great way to show students how to care for their local environment and life you don't easily see.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this book last week to my 5th graders for Life Science it is a wonderful book for inquiry! Not many of the students were able to explain the title at the beginning but at the end of the book-they got it!!

    ReplyDelete