Monday, January 30, 2012

I Am an Artist

We often talk with children how they chose books and how they get book recommendations.  It wasn't until I thought about writing this post I realized I find new titles all the time through my professional reading.  I don't know if I've ever explicitly shared that with a group of learners.  I will have to tuck this thought away for a conversation on my reading life with students.

I Am an Artist by Pat Lowery Collins is a book suggested in one of my current reads, The Power of Pictures:  Creating Pathways to Literacy through Art, Grades K-6 by Beth Oshlansky. Beth suggests using this lesson to begin the process of thinking like an artist.  The entire book is set on the premise of noticing natural things around you.  For example, "I am an artist when I find a face in a cloud or watch the light change the shape of a hill."  It also offers suggestions for being an artist with different actions one might do.  For example, "I am an artist when I shoot water loops in the air with the hose or discover pictures in drops of rain."  All of the artist examples are things children and maybe adults might do naturally based on curiosity.  Never does it mention using traditional artist tools or mediums.  I also feel the book has a peaceful tone.  I think it's the combination of the soothing illustrations done by Robin Brickman and the need I have to read it slowly and calmly.  This is not a book to read in a hurry with varying inflection.

I wish this ending line could reach all children and adults.  "I am an artist whenever I look closely at the world around me.  And whenever you listen and search and see, you are an artist too."

PS - This might make my PB10for10 this coming August.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for telling about this book. I suspect it would have some application to noticing details for writing too. It looks very special!

    ReplyDelete