Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Slice of Life - Story

I am missing lots of stories.  I am living the story or stories daily but not holding on to them in a tangible way to go back and reflect, cry, laugh, smile, and remember.    I have tried on and off, I love when I find something written down because I don't remember.  I want to feel that little tug at my heart when I reread a story, more often.  I wish I did remember things from long ago to reflect upon now, that I am older and in a different place.  Habits, routines, tools, and methods are great to think about but the ACT is what I need.  I need to capture now and capture the recent past before it comes a distant past that is so much harder to retrieve.


While spending time with Ruth Ayers at The Literacy Connection this past Saturday, she had each of us do a five minute write.  We spent the day celebrating writing, reflecting, and looking ahead as we begin a year long study of her new book, Celebrating Writers - From Possibilities to Publication.  Thank you Ruth, for a few moments to capture my thoughts.  Thank you Stacey for hosting and giving us an opportunity to make our writing public-ation.  You can find everyone who is slicing today at Two Writing Teachers.

11 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful Saturday with Ruth - a celebration. Your post reminded me of all the stories I haven't written down. Now it is difficult to remember. I wish all teachers, no everyone, would take the time to write their life stories. So much wisdom there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to see you again on Saturday and I loved thinking about you in newly retired still spending time with teachers and growing yourself.

      Delete
  2. - to feel the little tug at heart - love how how you said it.
    Ruth and Stacy have supported and encouraged me through their writing. I wonder how wonderful and powerful it feels to meet them in person. You are lucky. A year long study of Ruth's newest book - exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You use Evernote, right? Why not try using Penultimate (as well as paper notebooks) to jot down things you want to write about later.

    Also, you might want to check out The Book of Myself. It's a great place to write about your own life. Here's the link: http://amzn.com/1401303099.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacey, thank you for suggesting the title and app. I do have Penultimate on my ipad and need to start exploring it more. Great idea.

      Delete
  4. So many stories gone and forgotten, but once you get into the slicing habit a few of the stories are preserved. I am so grateful to Stacey and Ruth for developing this place for simple stories of life to be shared. Lucky you spending the day with Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I empathize with your reflection - I know how great it is when I am regularly writing, and how 'fleeting' my memories seem to be when I am not regularly writing. Love your line "I need to capture now and capture the recent past before it comes a distant past that is so much harder to retrieve."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know other writers understand. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Mandy,
    I'm glad you are writing and collecting and saving your stories. It's a big year ...imagine if once a week you wrote a quick slice. I'm sure you won't be sorry.
    Happy writing,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete