Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Slice of Life - I don't like...

I was able to walk away from my bigger writing project this summer while the top editors were reading and offering their suggestions.  I got my writing back last night with suggestions, questions, and editing guidance.  I appreciate all of their feedback and it's pushing my own thinking.  However, 24 hours later I'm still feeling ICK about the process.  It's not ICK over their feedback.  It's not ICK over using google documents.  It's not ICK over the feeling of them asking for more writing and me wondering if I have any more in me.  

It's ICK about not having a face to face writing conference.  I'm desperately missing a face to face conversation with our top editors.  I know his/her kind face, pausing, thinking, and questioning is soft spoken, filled with reflection.  It's also nurturing and guiding in a way different way than these little boxes.   I want a smile from these little comment boxes.  I want the little boxes to see my puzzlement or worry, but they don't.  

As I think about this process, I find things that aren't ICK.  I love using Google Documents and love the little comment boxes where others can record their thinking and I can check them off when I have resolved them.  I also love using the comment boxes for my own notes for feedback or recording suggestions from a face to face writing conference.  I enjoy co-collaborating using Google Documents.  

This experience is going to impact my writing workshop this year.  I'm going to have to provide feedback to my students in person.  I may use a comment box or a sheet of paper or post it note but when that writer is receiving a chunk of feedback at one time, especially the first time I want it to be in person.  I want to help the writer embrace a range of emotions and be available to them, if they have questions.  I don't want my students to feel ICK about writing.

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community.

7 comments:

  1. I liked your pros & cons! I do miss face to face contact at times. There's just something about seeing body language that helps the situation. But I also like checking items off. I see both sides to your pros & cons. Good luck writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That personal face to face does make a difference. There shouldn't be fear in the heart of what someone will say after reading your piece. I know editors are doing their job and creating a stronger piece, but ouch, sometimes it tears the heart just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What important knowledge to take away! As more and more of what we do - in all walks of life - becomes computerized, this is essential: "It's ICK about not having a face to face". It does sound as if you are doing some very exciting and creative writing though - happy writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing this! This is why it's so important for teachers to do all the things they expect their students to do, especially when it comes to something like writing and getting feedback from others. I think a balanced approach of technology and face-to-face can work well. The fact that you missed the in-person connection speaks volumes about the power of connectedness in forming a writing community. My students and I use Google Docs/Word Online to give feedback to one another, but only after we've already established in-class peer response groups. It makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That face-to-face can be so torturous, too! I completely understand when my students say, "Don't read it NOW!" because sometimes I'm just squirming & avoiding eye contact during a conference/feedback sharing with writing groups or partners. I think the balance of face-to-face & text-to-face is an important one to strike. Thanks for this post - great reminder of how different writers need different support, & even the same writer needs varied approaches.

    I wonder how video chats could work for digital writing conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That face-to-face can be so torturous, too! I completely understand when my students say, "Don't read it NOW!" because sometimes I'm just squirming & avoiding eye contact during a conference/feedback sharing with writing groups or partners. I think the balance of face-to-face & text-to-face is an important one to strike. Thanks for this post - great reminder of how different writers need different support, & even the same writer needs varied approaches.

    I wonder how video chats could work for digital writing conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That face-to-face can be so torturous, too! I completely understand when my students say, "Don't read it NOW!" because sometimes I'm just squirming & avoiding eye contact during a conference/feedback sharing with writing groups or partners. I think the balance of face-to-face & text-to-face is an important one to strike. Thanks for this post - great reminder of how different writers need different support, & even the same writer needs varied approaches.

    ReplyDelete