Friday, February 5, 2016

Messing Around on the Monkey Bars by Betsy Franco


New Kid at School

Where did you come from?

Far Away.

Miss your friends?

Every day.

Where do you live?

Maple Street.

What's your name?

Call me Pete.

How old are you?

Just turned eight.

You like hoops?

Yeah, great.

Got any friends?

Nope, not yet.

Wanna play?

You bet!




New Kid at School can be found in Messing Around on the Monkey Bars by Betsy Franco is a collection of school poems for two voices.  As a teacher, I always find having a new student challenging once your year is rolling and the community established.  However, I also find it a learning opportunity for everyone.  When I found this poem, it just reminded me what I always hope my students will do.  I think this might be a good poem to use with students before a new student arrives to help understand what it might feel like to be a new kid.  You can find more fun topics for students to read and connect with; bus rides, monkey bars, lunch money, jump rope, recess, and lost and found to name a few.  

The voices are cleverly indicated by voice 1 presented in a normal font width and voice 2 is presented in a bold font.   Easy cues for younger readers to use.  The author has provided the readers with helpful information.  In the beginning there is a great explanation and guidance for how to read the poems with two voices.  At the end of the book, the reader will discover adventurous ways to read some of the poems. 

This post is the first in a three part series 
for developing fluency using poems for two voices.  

I'm happy to be sharing again with the Poetry Friday community.  This week Tricia is hosting the round up at The Miss Rumpus Effect.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your picks for the next poems in this post! Poetry + fluency are a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. It's the first I'm hearing of this book - I shall definitely be on the lookout for it. :)

    ReplyDelete