Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Slice of Life - Rocked My World

During the past month, on and off there is has been a little slice reoccurring.  

N:  My phone won't work.
Me:  That's too bad.
N:  My phone is working.
Me:  Great news, maybe something isn't quite right.

Silence for a while, on this topic.
Repeat previous conversation.

N:  I went to the "carrier" for my phone today.
N:  They said it has water damage and it would cost four hundred dollars.
Me:  What did you do?
N:  I walked out, the phone is working again.
Me:  Silent, Phew!  Audible - Maybe you should go to the Apple store.  

Silence for a while, on this topic.  It all came crashing down today and today is an important day.  N turned 20 and had people sending her wishes and making plans for a fun night out.  Technology rocked her world.  We went to the Apple store and delayed her plans.  The outcome was superior customer service and a brand new phone for free!  There was a glitch in how it was operating not caused by the user.  Yahoo.

I got back in the car at her apartment and had a moment to reflect.  Technology rocked her world today and that's important right now for her.  It's the world we live in and can be frustrating.  However, twenty years ago she rocked my world.  She rocked my daily schedule, my thinking, my emotions, and my heart.  I still laugh at myself because I thought pre - N, my life wouldn't really change.  

I didn't expect her to rock my professional world but she did.  I arrived on time and I left on time.  I started working through lunches to take less home.  Professional development outside of the day wasn't a choice I made for a bit.  While these things cross the personal and professional line, she really rocked my teaching.  I became fascinated with what young students are able to do when they arrive at school.  I had this incredible urge to get to find out about the whole child. Observations became essential in moving students forward and learning about students.  Conferring with students was so enlightening.  Their words and conversations were daily delights because I took the time to listen about their topics.  Exploring different media for sharing learning became essential because kids are naturally curious and what we call now, makers.  These reflections are some nuggets I want to hold on to, as I start working with a new set of students in August.  Thanks N for making a difference in my life.



PS - This is just my slice and in no way intended to state I think teachers need to be parents.  

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for hosting this writing community and for encouraging us to live a writerly life.

5 comments:

  1. It is so fun to watch kids develop - our own and our students. And great news on the new (free!) phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful slice! I often think about how my parenting affects my teaching and vice versa. Happy birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised, when I adopted my boys at ages 7 and 9, by how much my world changed. Little stuff like the extra time it took to get everyone ready in the morning and meal making and laundry. Big stuff like how I viewed the wiggly little guys in my classroom and how important PE was, etc. Glad your daughter got a new phone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "She rocked my daily schedule, my thinking, my emotions, and my heart."
    I'm watching new moms in our faith congregation begin this journey. I visited a mom and her 5 day old daughter yesterday. What joy!
    And I love how you explained how N's birth rocked your professional life too. Thanks for this joyous slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was amazed at the difference in my teaching perspective after I had my son. Children do rock our world. Happy belated birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete