Saturday, May 20, 2017

Big Messages from Little People {Celebrate this Week}

This week I'm celebrating word choice and big messages from little people.

Our Parent Teacher Organization runs a Write Shop for the students each year where they are able to publish their writing in a "hard bound" book.  If you've read Donald Graves work he wrote about the power of publishing many times.  The books are made from chipboard wrapped in patterned or solid contact paper.  The students help sew their writing with a needle and thread to the spine and rubber cement the end papers to finish off the inside.  We have a rubber stamp with our publishing company for the school and these books become treasures.  

Yesterday we started the morning with Poetry Friday but instead of reading other authors we read our Write Shop books and left Reader's Comments.  To be honest, I had read all the poems one night and early morning trying to help with editing.  It was quick and fast because I was focused on catching spelling errors and I was surprised the poems didn't stick with me.  As I read each student's book in a published format, my heart started bursting with joy.  I could see the mini lessons we had worked through come alive.  I saw details in illustrations but one poem in particular really made me stop in my tracks.

A quiet student wrote a short poem.  A short poem with carefully selected words with a big message.  Our world is filled with goodness but turmoil and sadness.  Our own lives are filled good things that can bring self doubt and uncertainty.  I'm sure we could all use or know someone who can use this kind of medicine.  


                                                

Thank you Ruth for encouraging us to stop and think about Celebrations.  
SaveSave

12 comments:

  1. Wow! What a powerful poem!! I love the idea of the Write Shop. Publishing is so vital to writers, isn't it? LOVE these celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I think some of what I miss most about teaching is reading students' words, and now you've shown why it is. Thanks, Mandy. Enjoy your final days with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The few words carry a beautiful message. Sweet poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post deserves one of those good old bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something very special about seeing your words in published form. Love your student's prescription.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Write Shop is wonderful. Publishing is such an important part of writing. Thanks for sharing "Hugs"--it is so insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This student's poem just melts my heart! Hugs are good medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carefully selected words with an emphasis on the message - that's what great writing is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great poem, and a wonderful way to publish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely. I love how the kids create their published books by stitching the pages to the cover. Every bit of it is their creation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the hugs poem and what it meant for the student to publish it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply stated, simply the truth! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete