Friday, August 11, 2017

Haiku #12





summer warriors
eating to bring about change
chomp munch working crunch 


Last weekend I was feeling filled with angst and stepped outside at a local park for a change of scenery and steps.  I started to stop and look at the milkweed plants and caught this video.  Amazing creatures at work and just what I needed.  Time and space to discover something new.  When I watched the video, I knew there was a haiku to be born.  This is my 12th haiku of the summer.  My plan was to try some poetry writing this summer and I did it!  I didn't know I was going to write 12 or enjoy gathering ideas and images for writing so much.  School starts Monday for me and I'm not sure if this will continue or not.  As I'm typing, I'm wondering if there's a different format to play around with for a bit of time.  I do worry the busy of teaching will put my poetry writing to rest.  Thank you for your support and following along on my journey, I've appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

This week Poetry Friday is being hosted by Margaret at Reflections on the Teche.

9 comments:

  1. Do continue, Mandy! It sounds like you are really tapping into your identity as a writer and poet. I enjoyed your video and haiku!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do continue! Looking forward to poetry on Fridays gives me inspiration--and I often find myself jotting down ideas to try out in my own writing as I read through poetry posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They DO look like Japanese warriors...so haiku is perfect for them! Eating for change...maybe a new way to approach social justice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your haiku and your story of how nature helped you feel better. Congratulations on a poetic summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you can continue! Just involve your students. A poem a day...acrostic, diamante, haiku, book spine, found poems...all short and good for the kids, too! When they are writing - you write one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you decide to keep going, Mandy. All of us have very full days and ten thousand demands, but we shouldn't deny ourselves the selfish joy of writing our own souls onto the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Kindergarten teacher immediately though of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" when reading your delicious haiku! It's now given me the idea to pair poems with favorite children's literature. Thank you! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always drawn to nature whenever my anxiety threatens to derail me - there is nothing quite as inspiring and powerful as time spent in the great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun haiku Mandy, I love the last line! I have a forest of milkweed in my backyard with lot's of munching critters. Here's to fitting in a few poems as the days and weeks continue.

    ReplyDelete