Monday, July 16, 2018

Being the Change - Chapter 5 & 6 {#cyberpd}

As I kept reading and finished Being the Change by Sara K. Ahmed, I really held on to the idea of this powerful work being anchored with simple introductory conversations of daily observations.  I also find myself reflecting on my school community and what it offers or doesn't offer.  I worry our children are protected and sheltered and won't be ready for what they may encounter.  I also worry we cover things up because we think they aren't ready and wonder when we stop this to promote growth and change.  I found a sentence I wanted to share with parents to maybe help our community.  "And if we don't know the answers to our children's questions, we can create opportunities to learn together."  I love when a child says something and makes me stop and think.  I don't hesitate to think along the side of them to figure things out.  I wonder how we can model this as part of the learning process and make it visible to help our families and community.

Another sentence I want to ponder longer is, "When we ask ourselves honest questions about how we may see our own humanity in others, we will be far more adept at being compassionate citizens."  It makes so much sense to find things the same to help us process, question, and support a situation.

The lessons ideas n Chapter 5 are lofty and big for little ones.  I found myself writing notes in the margin to think about the word obligated; committed, obliged, pledged, required, tied, and urged.  I wasn't thrilled with these words either.  Then I started to ramble on with a few questions that might help little ones think about obligated.
   
Who helps you make decisions?
Who helps guide you?
Who watches or takes care of you?

I think I need to wrestle more with the steps or process of thinking about those you could defend or stand up for.  Those who you will connected with might be something to think about.

I think decision making is one to explore more with because little ones have a lot of impulsivity.  I want to look for picture books characters that make conscious and unconscious decisions.  I wonder if Cathy Mere has that list already made, she loves to make book lists!  

Then the words intent and impact sent me to dictionary.com.  I found intent to be defined as meaning or significance - the why and impact to be the influence of effect - the impression a decision or choice may have.  Again, I think we need picture books geared for little ones with some examples here.  

Chapter 6 sums up all that I'm thinking about this work no matter what the grade level is.  We have to start the school year ready to listen and allow time for the students to share their news.  This sharing isn't just about hearing it, it's about learning from it to grow as a human.

Thank you Cathy and Michelle for organizing #cyberpd.

2 comments:

  1. A list of picture books with characters who make conscious and unconscious decisions sounds like a great idea. I hope either you or Cathy make one and share it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thinking about "obligation" is not only appropriate for your young students. You have me thinking about how our society generally responds to the idea of obligation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete