Monday, July 18, 2022

It's Monday! What are you reading? {IMWAYR}

 I'm currently reading The Road to After by Rebekah Lowell and first heard about it on the podcast Three huggable Middle Grade Novels on Get Lit(erate) with Stephanie Affinito. I bought this book at a local book store based on her rave reviews and summary on the podcast. I'm three fourths of the way through it and and amazed constantly. The story is told in verse which does not take away from the depth of the story. My emotions are all wrapped up and around the characters. I find myself cheering them on and right now I'm waiting for a "shoe" to drop.

Yesterday I had plans to finish the book and my day got away from me. I felt sad later in the evening and kept telling myself I have tomorrow and these thoughts reinforced why I have independent reading each day in my classroom. This thinking might also help me miss an interactive read aloud or mini lesson over the independent reading time. 

I have also found myself wishing I had a reader's notebook to capture some questions as I read. I have a few lines I want to record somewhere...


"Maybe Mama, Jenna, and I 

are like my sunflower,

full of changes going on inside

that others can't see,

good changes,

even if

they might feel prickly

at first."



 Thank you Jen at Teach Mentor Texts for co-hosting this event with Kellee and Ricki from Unleashing Readers.

4 comments:

  1. I love books in verse and will look for this one! I also agree about daily reading time-it really is necessary to make that time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Road to After sounds like such a powerful book, and the lines you shared are beautiful! And it's wonderful that you have independent reading in your class every day—I think so many readers have that feeling of wanting to come back to a good book the very next day. Thanks so much for the wonderful post, Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this book--thank you so much for sharing it with me!!! :)

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Road to After sounds like an important book. Thanks so much for the heads up about it.

    ReplyDelete