Friday, November 11, 2022

Tucked In {Poetry Friday}

Tucked In

After viewing the exhibit 


face washed
teeth brushed

room picked up
day is done

questions asked
stories told

books read
prayers said

covers lifted
snuggled in

hanging on
sleep encouraged

@ Mandy Robek


 

Projects help me be accountable. I'm diving into Amy Ludwig Vanderwater's Poems are Teachers How Studying Poetry Strengthens Writing in All Genres again. This week Amy and Irene Latham guide readers with Let Art Inspire. I just happened to visit The Columbus Museum of Art last night for a workshop and snapped this picture of original art from Maurice Sendak's Little Bear series of books. I wish I had snapped a picture of the title. "Poetry after the art allows us to bring ourselves into the piece, not just as an observers, but as participants," Irene Latham. Irene's website has more ideas called Art Speak. Little Bear was part of my first daughter's "mom approved" VCR video collection and we rewatched this beloved series many times. Looking at this print and thinking outside the frame brought back memories of bedtime with her and her sisters.

Thank you Buffy Silverman for hosting this week’s Poetry Friday Roundup.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy, Are you new to Poetry Friday? I'm sorry I haven't been to your posts before today. What a great project you are undertaking to get to know Amy's book. I use it often in my classroom and some of my former students have poems in it. What a wonderful resource! I love your small poem about Maurice Sendak's drawing. It's a wonderful Goodnight Moon-esque poem. You may enjoy my weekly poem prompt on my blog "This Photo Wants to be a Poem" on Wednesdays. A group of us write poems to a photo prompt. I also use it with my students each week. Just another source for poetry prompts. Will you be at NCTE? I hope to see you there.
    https://reflectionsontheteche.com/2022/11/09/this-photo-wants-to-be-a-poem-cajun-prairie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret - Thank you for stopping by and sharing your photo poem project. I've dabbled with Poetry Friday on and off when I was blogging more regularly. I'm trying to blog again and wanted to commit to a writing project to help. I miss connecting with other educators. The response and comments on my post are heart filling...thank you again and yes, I will be at NCTE. I do hope we connect in person.

      Delete
  2. I love the two POVs in your poem, especially in those last two lines. Oh, the tension between day/night, awake/sleep, tired kid/tired mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing poems in response to images is one of my favorite things. Thank you for sharing this. I love Amy's book, Poems Are Teachers, and I dive into it frequently for ideas and mentor poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Mandy--how many poems could we write about the books we loved, or which our children love/d? This is a sweet one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! There is so much to love in Amy's book, and I find art an excellent jumping off point for poetry. Your title "Tucked In" is wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete