Friday, March 26, 2010

A Star in My Orange

The front cover of this book with it's subtle monotone orange hues grabbed my attention. The title A Star in My Orange, Looking for Nature's Shapes by Dana Meachen Rau is filled with photographs of nature. These photographs are showing the reader patterns and shapes found in nature if we are looking. Just looking at this book made me stop and look around my immediate environment to see what things I could find that were shapes or patterns. When we think of the word shape, I would bet many of us start thinking about proper geometry terms. This book doesn't do that. The shapes referred to within this text are more open, descriptive language to describe what is being seen with the photograph - star, swirly, curly, twirly, and spinning. Here's an example of the text...

"I see lots of little shapes in a turtle's shell,

and a bees honeycomb,

and a fallen pinecone."


No comments:

Post a Comment