Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Own Reading Life

I decided over Spring Break I wanted to read an adult book for enjoyment.  I've had a few books in my Kindle wishlist but I always compare the prices for the same book in paperback and hardcover and strongly believe if I'm going to read it paperless, the Kindle version should NOT be more than the paperback version.  Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert was more money via my Kindle so I decided to borrow it from my local public library.  I was surprised at my reactions while reading for enjoyment via a real book format.

-The book seemed so thick and heavy.
-I found the actual ending to feel so far away.
-I missed being able to look up the definition within the Kindle as I was reading.
-I missed underlining some thoughtful words I might enjoy reading later.
-I had something to share with my reading friends via Twitter and couldn't.

I think I'm enjoying my Kindle reader more than I knew.  I think I like the ease of carrying it around, having resources at my fingers to help my thinking as a reader and the idea of sharing things from my reading with friends.  I also saw the movie for this book and I have to say it's the first time I think seeing the movie first helped me with my reading.  I think being able to visualize the setting and events in the story helped my stamina when the content was unfamiliar.  The journey through India and Indonesia are filled with information I am not familiar with and the movie visuals have helped me understand a little bit more.  I also realize the movie may not always be accurate for I have not traveled to either location but I feel I have a better sense for a few things.  Until now, I would of been and have been against ever seeing a movie first.  I think reflecting on my own reading, will help me understand my student's or my own children's reading habits.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your reflection on e-reader v.s book. I have wondered which prefer! I borrowed my daughters and I have to say I loved being able to read in bed without worrying about the book light or my glasses!

    ReplyDelete