Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Orange Routine. {20 of 31 Slice of Life}

Each morning this week I venture to the kitchen and do a little breakfast prep.  I've developed another flu routine here too.  I grab the large bag of oranges and roll out three.  These are super big and remind me of a softball - they are almost that big!  This big round plump orange sphere brings brightness to my day once I slice it open.  The orange flesh is vibrant with a glisten from the juice inside.  The sections make me think about math and fractions and I might miss teaching more than fractions are a fair share.  I set up my simple juicer making sure the plastic spinning shape is ready to go.  There's a rhythm as I hold the orange half on top and it spins; releasing fresh squeezed orange juice below.  My grandmother was adamant about Vitamin C and chicken noodle soup for colds and flu aliments.  When I was much younger, I thought she was a bit quirky about these things.  She had to have the real deal - grapefruit and oranges in their natural fresh state.  I can't recall if she'd take any cold medicine or not.  I'd love to tell her fresh orange juice brings me joy each morning with my Tamiflu medicine and I'm sure she'd approve.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community.

3 comments:

  1. I could almost taste it with all the details you included. Can't believe you are slicing through the flu -- hope you are on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read a post where you're back at school embracing those fractions! Until then, I guess I'll settle for fresh oranges. Sounds like you might be a little better!

    ReplyDelete