Monday, August 17, 2020

The Pigeon HAS to Go to School! Helped Me Tonight

Today was my first day back at school in my classroom. It was filled with unease and odd. There's a lot of different to figure out this year. Recently I've been seeing a lot of people sharing the book, The Pigeon HAS to Go to School! with words and pictures by Mo Willems. Part way through the afternoon I found it in my classroom and wondered if it would help me with my own thinking right now.  I fully believe picture books are for all ages and there are messages for the young and older.  

Pigeon and I ask the same question; Why do I have to go to school? I can already answer Pigeons' question about liking school or not. I don't like school with COVID guidelines changing how it looks and feels.  I had to laugh when Pigeon asks about all the stuff? Pigeon is worried about learning too much and I'm worried about not teaching enough. I really enjoyed seeing the text I'm scared in smaller letters - me too a little bit Pigeon. Pigeon has so many questions at one point and that was my mind today at various moments.  

At the end Pigeon, is all on board and headed to school. My district has given us two weeks to prepare and learn more about teaching this year. I'm grateful for time to process, reorganize, design a safe space, learn, and sit with my emotions. As I read this book, I found comfort in Mo Willems words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment