Friday, September 11, 2020

Silent Empathy {SOS - Magic in a Blog}

I recently read this quote, "Silent empathy is where you think, "I'm sorry, and I love you" without saying it out loud."  As I read this, I thought about moments when this is needed.  I wondered if I've been doing this.  I know this would be something to ponder and use during moments of distress.

Distress arrived.  It was the night before school.  Five months before she navigated bells, crowded hallways, looks from others, and learning.  Worries. Worries. Worries.  Clothes were on and off.  Clothes were strewn on the floor.  Tears were starting.  She talked.  I listened.  She talked.  I responded.  She babbled and I sat in silent empathy.  She leaned in to me and her thoughts were running through my head. I found myself saying silently, "I'm sorry, and I love you." 


Join me as I share my story with

4 comments:

  1. I think a lot of silent empathy is happening these days. So glad you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy,
    I’m glad you wrote this. One day you will look back and realize your wisdom a deep, deep love. Parenting in the way you do is not an easy gig. You continue to chose grace and hope for wholeness. It is beautiful. I hope you see it’s beauty, too.
    Xo,
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so needed sometimes. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silent empathy - what an interesting concept. Your post is beautiful. The patience of listening and the silent empathy in the end touched me.

    ReplyDelete