Sunday, January 10, 2021

One Little Word 2021


Happy New Year 2021! I hope this post finds you safe and healthy. I hope this post finds you with patience for the all things a global pandemic brings. Teaching is not easy right now in any format.

Instead of creating a New Years Resolution and always wanting to have many I've chosen to participate in the One Little Word project and ideas from scrapbooker/storyteller Ali Edwards.  If you haven't read anything by Ali, I highly recommend you stop by her blog.  The past seven years I have chosen enjoy, aware, discover, change, create, embrace, nourish, story, hope, light, and habit.


My word for 2021 has been percolating for the last month and I'm really excited about it.

BECOMING.

As in I have changes to embrace.  
I can discover changes.  
I can make changes.

Personally 2021 is full changes. My oldest will finish graduate school and pursue a job in occupational therapy with a willingness to move. My middle daughter is packing right this moment for a semester abroad in Paris during a global pandemic and our youngest will graduate from high school and start college. I'm looking for a phrase other than empty nester. Please share any ideas!

I've been embracing changes in teaching for 9 months. It's challenging and rewarding. Some fo the changes are really hard and out of my control. Some of the changes have stretched my work and thinking helping me grow. I think this year will bring twists and turns still where becoming will help guide my decisions and choices.

Becoming is defined as any process of change. I love the word process and think embracing and being part of the process will help the actual changes feel better. Synonyms for belonging had some obvious words;welcome and fitting.  I enjoyed discovering enhancing, acceptable, agreeable, effective, well-chosen, and graceful.  

I found this quote to reflect on this month - 


"There is a season for wildness and a season for settledness, and this is neither. 
This season is about becoming."

Shauna Niequist

Thank you for joining me on this journey and hopefully cheering me along the way.  I know I'm enjoying reading other posts and thinking behind One Little Word decisions.

1 comment:

  1. I love your word, Mandy! And the quote! Have a fabulous year of becoming.

    ReplyDelete