Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Love is Powerful by Heather Dean Brewer

Love is Powerful by Heather Dean Brewer and illustrated by LeUyen Pham is a book modeling activism for children.  The story follows a mother and daughter's journey from planning, prepping, and attending the Women's March. They bring two signs; be kind and love is powerful.  Mari, the little girl is worried her message won't be heard.  The illustrations show the crowd from different perspectives and I found myself feeling empathy for Mari.  As Mari sits on her Mama's shoulders she begins to share her message.  Her parade neighbors begin to chant with her and her message grows through the crowd.  Her message is heard.

I had to stop and reread the book once I read the author's note.  It's based on a true story and Mari was six years old.  I can't wait for my students to meet Mari and become inspired to share their voice.


                          Thank you Candlewick Press for this advanced readers copy. 

The book is available now.

No comments:

Post a Comment