It was so great to see you in person last month! What a year it has been! We kept up our Voxer conversations weekly pondering what the CDC was advising us on in a pandemic. We had so many thought ramblings about what we were trying to do educationally in such uncertain times. I always felt better after our chats and realized we could only do our best each day and try again the next.
Then in March you shared you were retiring. My heart was happy for you and sad for me. I'll be honest, I was worried you'd get lost in that retirement fog of what day is it? Lost on your deck reading and writing poetry and not to mention playing with new grand babies as much as possible. All those things are well deserved. You reassured me - while you had no plans you'd still be there on Voxer. We'd still be here for #pb10for10 and #nf10for10 and here we are. Thank you friend, I'm not ready to do this without you!
One month from today is our annual Picture Book for Ten event. I really can't wait to see what our community will share this year. We've learned so much in the past year about relationships, race, color, gender, acceptance, stepping back, giving space, and offering grace. Authors and illustrators have stepped up to the plate and brought us rich literature to help us think and process on our own and with students.
I can't wait to see what picture books will be shared this year. It might be the hardest year yet to pick just ten books you can't live without!
The BasicsWant to join the conversation?
Here's how you can participate:
- Grab a Badge (just copy the URL address of the one above or take a screenshot)
- Choose Your Favorites: All you need to do is choose ten picture books you cannot live without for whatever reason. In the first days of this event, everyone shared their ten very favorite titles. This still works. You will notice, however, that many past participants choose some type of theme or thread to connect their selections. We'll leave this up to you.
- Narrow Your List to Ten: It isn't easy, is it? We've seen some crafty ways to get around that number.
- Write Your August 10th Post: Write a post about the ten books you cannot live without. Share the link to your collection here, at Enjoy and Embrace Learning, on August 10th.
- No Blog? No Problem: If you don't have a blog, this might be the perfect time to start one --- or there are a million digital ways to join. You could post from a Google page, create a S'more, share in Twitter (and copy the Tweet link), or any other creative idea you may be considering. We will also be tweeting from the #pb10for10 hashtag.
- Comment: On August 10th (and maybe for a week --- there are a lot of posts) take some time to read posts from other participants. Please comment on at least three.