Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tally Marks, where?


One day a few weeks ago, my daughter B was helping me unload the dishwasher and she was working on the silverware. As I glanced out of the corner of my eye, I could tell she was sorting. I didn't notice her organization until she said, "Look, Mommy - tally marks!" I had to quick grab the camera and take a photo. This is a perfect example of a quick little mathematical experience this summer in our kitchen. I often tell parents the small conversations, connected to something within the moment or something of value and meaning to a student is exactly what is needed to help students use what they know and to grow further.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! One of the other first grade teachers in my building took a picture of his kids as they formed tally marks with their bodies. 4 kids laid down and another one laid across them. Then they counted the number of students in their room using the "body tally marks." It was great for interactive writing too. His kids really understood tally marks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a 5YO who is insisting on making tally marks in groups of six. A reader of mine sent me over here to see this. Great idea - definitely going to tryin this one at home!

    ReplyDelete