Sunday, January 3, 2010

One Little Word

Instead of creating a New Years Resolution and always wanting to have many I've chosen to participate in the One Little Word project and ideas from scrapbooker/storyteller Ali Edwards. The first year I chose enjoy and last year I chose aware. This year I've spent time looking at what others are thinking about and you can too via twitter, #onelittleword.

This year I'm choosing nurture and really felt this visual thesaurus map of the word nurture was just right. I needed a word to cover many things, without making a to do list. First, I need to nurture my own children with care and love. They are 13, 10, and 6 with each requiring different things and tweak in my relationships with them. I sometimes need to step back and remember to nurture their needs first which may go against my own nurturing. Of course, I could take more time to nurture my adult relationships including my friends and husband. I hope to nourish and take the time needed for my own creativity, fitness and health. I think using the word nurture and having this as a focus will help guide many decisions for me...to provide the guidance I need to stop working a bit too much, sometimes.

However, teaching is a big part of who I am as a person and I need to nurture this part of me too. I need to continue reading and creating a kindergarten classroom that will promote and foster my students socially, emotionally, and cognitively. I find spending time and connecting with colleagues who share similar thinking nurturing, as a person and a teacher. I started this blog not really sure where it would go or what would become of it, I'll continue to nurture this and see what comes my way in 2010. Happy New Year everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I love your choice! I've seen some different things about choosing a word for the year. Thanks for the link to its origin. Now, I'm going to think about mine. Happy New Year!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete