Monday, February 1, 2010

Nonfiction Monday - Groundhog Day!



When I was shopping last weekend, I discovered a new book I didn't know about by Gail Gibbons, Groundhog Day! This nonfiction book is very informative and explains the phenomena around a groundhog. The book begins by explaining February 2 is half way through winter and people believe watching animals can help predict when spring will come. I learned Groundhog Day has a history from over 1,500 years ago. It began a celebration of spring where people would begin cleaning, preparing for a new beginning, and candles were lit. The middle of the text explains the tradition of watching groundhogs and the gathering in Punxsutawney, PA. I didn't know in 1886, Clymer Freas decided to call February 2 Groundhog Day. I think the ending of the book is just what children would need as readers. A good amount of information and all you may need to know about groundhogs themselves. The book's layout is supportive with nonfiction features supporting the illustrations and text. We own several fiction books about groundhogs but I finally feel this books explains the history and reasons we will watch to find out if a little rodent can predict the weather. An early spring would be great. However, if winter must stay here in the midwest bring some snow to enjoy and brighten our gray days.
Nonfiction Monday round up is at Wild About Nature.

3 comments:

  1. Leave it to Gail Gibbons to fill a need for a book! So helpful to have a scientific and cultural explanation for this odd little holiday. =) Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work at a public library and parents are always trying to find good books about special days so I'm glad i can suggest this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find! I had no idea Groundhog Day had such a history. Or that it's tomorrow! :x

    ReplyDelete