Friday, February 19, 2010

Of Primary Importance


In about twelve hours I hope to be sitting in a conference session with author, Ann Marie Corgill who wrote, Of Primary Importance What's Essential in Teaching Young Writers? and I can't wait! I really wanted to read this book before I saw her in person and I'm thrilled I did. I made a daily reading plan, a few snow days helped and I stuck with my plan. I also read it on my Kindle which made transporting it easy. I love my page of notes and highlighting I did as I read.

I can't wait to meet Ann Marie in person. She is thoughtful, insightful, practical, and realistic. Her writing was comforting to read and I felt like I had a personal cheerleader by my side understanding the needs of young children. She guides her work with the six As; analyze, ask, applaud, assist, assess, and advocate. This was obvious throughout her book. She begins by guiding the reader through setting expectations, believing, designing an environment, planning, and establishing a community. She then shares several units she has worked through with primary students filled with ideas to consider. Each unit begins with an invaluable chart. These are the column headings; key provisions, big ideas, essential skills and concepts, possible text support, and assessment.

I'm sure tomorrow will be a good day of learning and growing. The only thing I don't like about reading it on my Kindle, I can't get the book autographed. Ann Marie Corgill, I will see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. What an electric day. Energizing, refueling, and powerful inspiration. I read her book earlier and loved hearing her in person.

    ReplyDelete