Monday, March 1, 2010

Nonfiction Monday - My Goose Betsy


My Goose Betsy by Trudi Braun is technically listed as a fiction text but I believe is a great way to introduce young students to the genre of nonfiction. I think you will see why with this first page.


"My goose Betsy has smooth soft feathers to keep her warm and dry, wide webby feet to swim with, and along strong beak for tearing at grass or pecking up corn." Right there I understand the function of three body parts and could see a diagram being created. The reader continues to learn about Betsy's walk, talk, nest building, egg laying and nurturing. The book concludes with the reader following the eggs through goslings hatching and Betsy becoming a mother goose.


After the "fictional" story the reader comes to a two page spread titled, A few more Goose facts with subheadings and text. The book concludes with an index. This book is part of a Read and Wonder collection created by Candlewick. I hope to find more for my young readers to enjoy and learn with.

No comments:

Post a Comment