Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lifetimes



Lifetimes - The beautiful way to explain death to children by Bryan Mellonie and Robert Ingpen is a graceful book I think everyone needs; young, old, family, single, couples.  The first page sets the tone for the entire book.



"There is a beginning
and an ending for everything
that is alive.
In between is living."

This books explains many aspects of death and living.  The book reminds us plants, animals, people and more are all living.  It reminds us living things get ill or sick, it's sad and sometimes they die.  The middle of the book describes the special lifetimes for trees, rabbits and mice, flowers and vegetables, butterflies, birds, fish, and people.  I list everything that is discussed before people to help you see how broad the topic of death is within this book.  I found reading about death and thinking about lifetimes as a cycle for other things in our world made reading and thinking about people easier.  I feel this book brings peace to such a sensitive topic for everyone and helps our youngest friends and loved ones understand a difficult aspect of life.

I'm so thankful for a friend who recommended this book to me about ten years ago.  I found it very helpful over spring break with B when her pet guinea pig stopped eating and drinking.  He passed away two days later at 4.5 years old.  Reading this book was hard, watching her sadness was hard, reading this book was comforting to the both of us.  This book will help your soul, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment