Thursday, January 5, 2012

OLW - foreshadow

I had a thought the other day.  I think my word change was brewing in my life before I realized it.  In the past three weeks I've done two things to be an advocate for change.  I didn't pick change to be an advocate but then there are surprises in life.  My district offered a full day K option this year as a pilot in an attempt to meet full day K requirements that have been lifted from Ohio districts.  We are not offering this option next year and I felt it was time to share some frustrations, observations, and thinking with our top administrators.  Not only do we need to think about returning these full time teachers and classes back to multiple buildings, we need to look at our K attendance schedule (which has been 5 days within two weeks), the Common Core, and how we can make young learners more of a priority.  I did get a response.  There is timeline to discuss the future of K and I should look for an email.  Yea.

Then next week our school is hosting our first Blood Drive.  Tomorrow I will share a piece of writing my mother wrote for our local newspaper 30 years ago reflecting on her own days of donating blood and then her experiences of needing donated blood with our entire school community.  Again, hoping to change people's minds and increase the number of pints being donated.  I am personally making a change and donating blood for the first time myself and I've had this on my to do list for quite some time.  

I didn't expect to be advocating for change when I chose this word.  I wonder if you have any unexpected surprises with your One Little Word.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Good for you for discussing the K schedule with administration. I'd love to know what happens.

    ReplyDelete