via flicker Chicago Photo Shop
10. At one point, I was overwhelmed. I can't fib about that! At this point, I might have a been a smidge homesick for my girls. I mentioned to Cathy my pb10for10 partner I was going to stop blogging, writing, and take a break from it all. Sometimes it's best to end on a high note and walk away. Well Cathy, I'm not going anywhere. I'm back. I need this feeling of belonging in my heart.
This year, I'm not feeling happy I returned from my second NCTE and wish all my friends would splurge a bit to feel the energy and connections you can create within this profession. After the rush of conferences, progress reports, 43 K students rotating in and out my door this was just what I needed to feel refreshed, revived, and willing to make my work better. In the spirit of an IGNITE session, I will highlight some of my thinking and feelings. You have 15 seconds to read each, all 20, and hopefully finish in 5 minutes!
1. Publishing is a mid-point now, not an endpoint. Write for collaboration. - Will Richardson
2. Being a creative teacher means we learn from each other. Creativity is not the same thing as imagination. Creativity means doing something, applying your imagination. -Sir Ken Robinson
3. Conversations are important with like minded people. I loved my impromptu breakfast duo that already has a date and time for NCTE13.
4. We can't be teachers we were 10 years ago. - Will Richardson
5. We are learning for proximity, we need choices to imagine, to create, to learn. -Bill Bass
6. Connecting with twitter friends in person and sharing more than 140 characters at a time was delightful.
7. Twitter is like an ignite session. - Sandra Hayes
8. The people who can laugh together, can work together.
9. Taking time away from my daily home life and catching Love Beatles show was amazing.
10. Triangulation - don't judge a child by one number or data point, look at points over time.
-Clare Landrigan and Tammy Mulligan
11. Most important part of the day is interactive read aloud. - Teachers College Group
12. Time for dinner and food without prep and cleanup was relaxing. Including friends at every meal was nourishment to my soul.
13. Go on listening tours. - Georgia Heard
14. Sprinkle some magic. - Jen McDonough
15. Making new friends that hug you when you have to stay goodbye, fills up my heart.
16. Choice provides energy and choice. -Matt Glover
17. Illustrations are compositions. - Katie Wood Ray
18. Scheduled a Nerdy Book Club post and so loved meeting more of these folks, in person.
19. Play is the oral language, it's the composing in our minds. - Katie Keier
20. When I was leaving NCTE this year, I wasn't done. I typed my notes into Evernote on the plane. I read a small professional book on the way home. I enjoyed traveling with good friends knowing I will be back for more growth, connections, and heart fulfilling learning in Boston.
Enjoy your own journey after NCTE12.