Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Slice of Life - I couldn't sleep!

So exhausted, I easily fall asleep.  So exhausted, I fall asleep on the couch.  So exhausted, I crawl into bed hoping.  A few hours later, I faintly wake only to realize it's way too early to get up.  I snuggle in again and doze off for a bit, only to wake and realize it's way too early to get up.  This time I lean up and see I have one more hour to sleep.  I wonder why can't I sleep and I turn over to snuggle right in again.  My alarm goes off and I get up reluctantly, feeling a need for more sleep.  

As I get dressed to walk my dogs, I wonder why couldn't I sleep?  A few things rumble threw my  mind.  My day was pretty well planned out for my students.  There isn't really pressing decisions to make right now.  My girls aren't busy with activities right now, so our weeknights are a bit relaxing.  I have 10/46 conferences left but not til Wednesday night and this is the home stretch with NCTE in my future!  

My day went well and tonight I was still thinking about why I couldn't sleep.  I couldn't sleep because the weatherman had promised SNOW.  Snow is uncommon in November.  I love snow.  It's pretty and bright.  It's peaceful and life seems to slow down.  While I walked the dogs this morning, my steps were truly a crunch crunch crunching and I thought about poetry.  It was cold and it quickened my pace but not without noticing the stars and the stillness of life before many rise.  I have a wonderful wall of windows at school and all day I enjoyed seeing the tufts of white on my bushes and bird feeders.  Snow brings lots of anticipation for people - safe driving, delays, snow days, and what to wear.  I hope the next time you see snow you are able to stop, wonder, and enjoy.

                                    

Thank you Dana for hosting Slice of Life at Two Writing Teachers.



1 comment:

  1. You had my attention from the first sentence. I really was curious why you couldn't sleep. Your anticipation for snow was like waiting for your birthday or Christmas morning. I can hardly wait for it to snow too. I am going to walk my dog soon. The sun is just coming up now.

    ReplyDelete