Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Slice of Life - Dashing About for Reading

It's a snow day and how will I start my day?  It's cold and chilly.  The house is quiet and I'm 60% through a book on my kindle.  I realize a cup of warm tea, a half made bed, and my kindle are calling my name.  

I "sneak" downstairs because I don't want the dogs to know I'm awake.  Realizing they can both see me while I make my cup of tea but I make NO eye contact with either of them.  I dash back upstairs, make my bed and crawl in on my side with propped pillows just right for a cozy reading spot.  

I begin reading in on my kindle and not too long into my reading the 15% battery power message lights up.  Bummer.  My cord isn't long enough to recharge and stay in this little cozy spot I've created.  I really don't want to change spots so I think about just reading until it runs out and then start my day with something else.  Then I begin brainstorming and pretty quickly realize I need an extension cord and my reading plans can continue.  

I leap out of bed.  I quickly dash down two flights of stairs to the basement.  I quickly pick up my green extension cord.  I quickly dash back up two flights of stairs and try out the extension cord idea.  All the while hoping my dashing about will go unnoticed by two dogs who can still see me.  Perfect!  I was able to stay in that cozy reading spot and finish reading my book and that is how I started my day.

Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community.

10 comments:

  1. I love that you were so determined to stay in your reading spot that you did so much dashing about! Hope the book was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece! You made me laugh as I imagined you trying to avoid eye contact with your dogs. This is a wonderful piece to share with your students -- a great small moment piece. Hope you enjoyed your morning!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing I love better than reading in the morning, mostly because when I read at night I rarely last for more than a page or two until I'm too sleepy to read. A snow day, a cozy reading spot, and time to finish a book - perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, I found myself smiling through your post, because, now that we have 2 puppies, I do the same thing. If I'm quiet enough, they won't wake up, or hopefully will be content to say in their crate. So glad you got to finish your book. Now I'm off to finish mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to start your day!
    I, too, loved that avoid eye contact part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogs have a way of taking over those perfect spots...but you won, this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't walk out of my bedroom this morning because I was afraid my daughter would see me (she was up early). I never thought what it would be like to try to sneak around pets... especially ones with really good hearing.

    Hope you enjoyed your snow day, Mandy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to start your morning! I can relate to sneaking around in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A cup of warm tea, a cozy bed, a book to finish - I am glad you were able to have a lovely morning. Good thinking with the extension cord.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a wonderful way to start the day, Mandy. So glad the dogs let you read your book!

    ReplyDelete