Monday, May 4, 2015

Math Monday - Summer Math?

Welcome and thank you for stopping by Math Monday, 
I hope you will consider joining the conversation.

In my feedly reader and twitter there's a lot of buzz about helping students stay engaged with books and reading during the upcoming summer months.  That got me wondering, I've never heard the phrase Summer Math.  That got me pondering, what would I recommend on a summer math list for families.  This is my initial thinking and I hope you will add some ideas in the comments to extend this list and then I will re-share our combined efforts in a future post.


Summer Math Ideas

1.  Replay Family Math games. 

2.  Make recipes together in the kitchen.

3.  Suggest board games involving strategies.

4.  Suggest board games to reinforce fact fluency.

5.  Play with measuring cups and spoons in the sandbox or pool.

6.  While at the grocery store, discuss all kinds of possible buying scenarios.

7.  Look for arrays in the environment/shopping opportunities.

8.  Build structures with pattern blocks or wooden blocks.

9.  Measure plants growing.

10.  Figure out elapsed time for different summer events.

11.  Skip count when jumping rope.

12.  Make paper airplanes and measure how far they can travel.

13.  Have a lemonade aid stand.



I've purposefully left technology off this list to hopefully provide opportunities for creativity and engagement with others.  I hope you will share your ideas with me and we can grow this list together.

Leave your link within a comment and 
don't forget to check out other blogs to see what they are thinking mathematically!


To help build our community and support other bloggers, 
it would be nice for you comment on at least three other blogs before you. 
Also, if you tweet about your Math Monday post, don't forget to use #mathmonday!

2 comments:

  1. I See a Pattern by Bruce Goldstone on our blog today! Thanks for hosting:-) http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2015/05/math-monday-i-see-pattern-here-by-bruce.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting Math Monday!
    http://simplylearningtogether.blogspot.com/2015/05/hows-math-going-what-we-would-tell-you.html

    Another summer math idea is to draw number lines with sidewalk chalk. Older students could try it with larger numbers, fractions, or decimals.

    ReplyDelete