Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Slice of Life - I hear something...

It's the middle of the night.  I'm not sleeping well.  I seem to be laying awake and must drift off for small chunks of time because I hear a noise but I'm not registering what it is.  I feel tired but begin to get up because if feels like I should check on something.  

My friend and math conference roommate says anxiously, "Mandy, that's a fire alarm.  We've got to get out of here.  Grab your purse!"  I'm trying to process everything while I grab my purse and realize I need my glasses to see and a pair of shoes to go out of the room.  I realize boots weren't the most practical shoes to have for this emergency but I have nothing else.  I have to make them work with my pajama pants but slow down the GET OUT OF THE ROOM mode my roommate is in.  We are luckily on the first floor and walk out of the lobby and decide to sit in her car, which is in the front row of the parking lot.  The location of the car is very important because we were able to observe a lot.

Our observations were a bit alarming.  People were exciting the building slowly or standing in the lobby.  Many ladies had grabbed their purses.  There didn't seem to be enough people up and about for the size of the hotel.  The front desk help didn't seem alarmed.  Hotel guests were choosing to sit on the sidewalk right where a firetruck should pull up.  A very cute older conference attendee had put on her conference badge over her bathrobe.  While this was cute, I actually thought how smart it was for people to know her name.  The firetruck did pull up and hotel guests had to move.  All of these observations were happening at 4:15am.

After this experience, I reflected on a few things.  Pack flip flops for all trips.  They are very quick to put on and off.  Why don't we have a consistent fire alarm sound in every building in our country?  This hotel alarm sounded nothing like the fire alarm in my school building.  Why didn't the guests at the hotel move away from the building as they practiced growing up and going to school?  We hope our lessons in school carry over to real life and travel with a friend who is quick to respond to a fire alarm!

Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for inviting teachers to write and share their writing with each other.  This community helps teachers and students grow in writing.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very frightening experience and you gave everyone a good list of behaviors to remember in case of emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what an experience. I am glad it was just an alarm and not a real fire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting! The casualness of everyone seemed so jarring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how often this happens. So many people ignore the alarm. This has happened tome a few times and I am always so bothered by it-- you have made me wonder… how often do we talk with our students about how they should use what we teach them about fire alarms in real lift. Do we tell them to transfer this knowledge? It seems like we should, but I have never done that myself. Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing -hope you fell back to sleep.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of when I was at my son's apt. bldg. during a fire alarm. I seemed to be the only person taking it seriously. Teachers have the "get out of the building" drilled into us from years of fire drills. It's a constant in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a frightening experience! The brain just doesn't work properly at that time of the day. Good thing your friend was cognizant of the alarm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I can't believe that happened! It's scary to think of the nonchalance of people, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete