Saturday, November 5, 2016

Writer's Feelings {Celebrate This Week}

This week I'm celebrating writing.

Sometimes when I think about writing I get overwhelmed and think it has to be big and grand.  Then I find myself doing a lot of self talk about just doing it.  Last week I attended our state math conference for teachers and my mind was swirling with ideas.  So many ideas that the writing just flowed.  Then when I wanted to capture a slice of life, the writing stalled a bit but I just wrote what I was thinking about and a piece was created.  While it wasn't what I intended I was pleased with this reentry.  Then last night I wanted to share some thinking for Poetry Friday and worked on making my writing small and to the point, remembering it doesn't have to be big and grand.  I timed myself and wrote two pieces in 30 minutes.  These pieces got my mind thinking about an article I might start drafting notes for.  I always find switching grade levels frustrating when it comes to writing articles for Choice Literacy because I worry I don't have anything new to add to the field at this grade level but I'm working on overcoming this.   I think all these feelings I had as a writer this week are natural and hopefully are a sign I'm back to writing with more consistency.


Thank you Ruth at Ruth Ayers Writes for encouraging us to find daily celebrations in our lives.  If you want to read more positive things stop by this week's post, Taking Time.
SaveSave

10 comments:

  1. Yes, yes and yes!! Your celebrations speak to me. Writing takes courage. Thank you for celebrating your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your PF piece, and hearing you share this today is good to hear. If teachers don't share what they're observing, even if unsure, they may be missing some other feedback from those who're listening (or reading). You may start a new line of thinking! Don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your inner thoughts and feelings as a writer. Celebrating that you are overcoming your doubts and returning to writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've stepped back from consistent writing, I need to step forward and just do it. Your thinking always inspires. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wise Mandy. Permission to not be big and grand sometimes reveals the most wonderful thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Redeveloping your writing habit can bring its rewards. I think we were feeling the same things this week. I didn't have any big celebrations, so I just focused on the many little ones that came to mind. Sounds like it was a common thread for many of us. Glad to see your words here today. Have a great week, Mandy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's important to remember that your CL writing doesn't have to be the definitive answer to everything, just your current thinking about that one small bit. (she said, reminding herself of the same...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder and for letting me know you are there too.

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to remember that it doesn't have to be big and grand, it can be short and sweet. The best thing is that you're here and you're writing.

    ReplyDelete