Tuesday, December 6, 2016

It's More than Okay it's... {Slice of Life}



"Saying no, is self care."

I stop and wonder, what did Nancy Jane Smith just say to me?  She gives a few examples of how and why we might say no to doing things during the holidays and then this - "It's a form of self-care, so reminding yourself that you are taking care of yourself by limiting all the activities you're engaging in."

And then, while I continue to paint my master bathroom I have a little conversation with myself as the brush goes up and down, side to side.  It's okay I said no yesterday and didn't go to work.  It's okay I stayed home when the day before I was hoping my voice could make it through a bare minimum mini-lesson.  It's okay I took a day off from work because I was sick and not someone else in my family.  I was doing self care!  It's more than okay I was doing self care!

Slice of Life PS - Painting is a great way to catch up on podcasts!  Nancy Jane Smith can be found at Stories From a Quest to Live Happier podcast and here is the transcript for the episode I am referring to.

Thank you to the Two Writing Teachers group for hosting our writing community and you can enjoy other slices from today by stopping by the link provided.  Thank you for stopping by. 
SaveSave
SaveSave

6 comments:

  1. So glad you took care of yourself -- we need to! Hope you are feeling better - I plan to borrow your mantra these next few weeks!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the painting and the podcast gave you just the right kind of time for you, Mandy. This time of year is challenging. I'm busy and I'm retired! Thanks for sharing about "it's ok"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better and the bathroom is painted. I'm praying for a snow day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder and nudge to set boundaries and say no when things get too hectic. It's interesting how our bodies know before we do that we need to slow down and take care!
    Keep that thought - It's OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moms and teachers are the worst at self care! You are a double self care avoider. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Hope you are starting to feel better.
    Thanks for the amaryllis pointers, I passed them on to my mom. And phoetry is a hybrid word of poetry and photos. Totally made up. ๐Ÿ˜†

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am taking a personal day Friday...mostly to catch up on some things I have put off...but I would qualify that as self-care too! I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for the podcast suggestion too!

    ReplyDelete