Saturday, January 21, 2017

Finding My Mojo {Celebrate This Week}



This weekend I'm celebrating finding my mojo - the art or practice of casting magic spells.  Now I must share right away I know I can't cast magic spells in reality however, I can create opportunities for possibilities.  Possibilities for students to have choice.  Possibilities for students to share their voice.  Possibilities for students to share their learning to teach others.  Possibilities for students to publish their thinking.  Possibilities to work with purpose and intent.  

I decided to close my writing teaching resource.  I decided to use the webs we created to collection information about guinea pigs which helped us understand our new class pet and create a planning sheet for student's to plan their own informational book.  Their planning sheet included a spot to choose their page topics and a checklist for nonfiction features to include.  I checked their plan and then I got busy talking to a student.  When I looked up, I was a bit surprised and thrilled to see how engaged every student was.  It was beautiful.  It was purposeful.  It was magic and my mojo was back.  

My mojo includes teacher choice; taking curriculum standards/goals and finding a meaningful way to foster student learning with purpose.



Thank you Ruth at Ruth Ayers Writes for encouraging us to find daily celebrations in our lives.  If you want to read more positive things stop by this week's post, Love is An Apple Core.

5 comments:

  1. "... a meaningful way to foster student learning with purpose." Isn't it exciting when it happens? Congrats, this is definitely cause for celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believing in the possible - THAT is what it is all about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do cast a spell of magic over your students. They have purpose and choice, and that's magic in a classroom. I want to be a fly on the wall watching this magic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post makes me smile! I celebrate teacher choice right beside you! It sounds like an amazing time with your writers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds very good, Mandy. Congratulations all the way through. I imagine you'll make that guinea pig very happy, too.

    ReplyDelete