Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Fluency Masters {Slice of Life Story Challenge}



I decided to revisit a Family Math game for the week.  Review is always good and the focus is on fluency with addition facts.  We are suppose to know our addition facts from memory by the end of the year.  I love the game Addition Top It for this but if you grew up when I did you might call this War.  

I begin modeling how to set the game up; removing the face cards, aces are ones, shuffling the deck of cards, and then dividing it in half.  The next step begins the play with both players flipping over a card and the person quickest to add the numbers together keeps the pair.  

Things are going well.  The students are attentive and interested.  My modeling continues with an actual game and a student as my peer.   Suddenly I'm overwhelmed with playing for real.  I don't think I'll be going soft.  No slowing down my pace for a younger opponent.  We model reading fluency through read aloud why not model fact fluency by playing the game for real.  The small crowd gives an ooh and then an ahh.  

I fell asleep on the couch...that's it for today.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for organizing this Slice of Lfie Story Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment