Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A student asked...{Slice of Life}


I was in the hallway with lunch buyers while they waited their turn to buy lunch.  I always try to praise them for waiting patiently and quietly because we wait right outside the music room.  I try to encourage them to eat their lunch and visit less.  While we wait small conversations happen.  

Today I was asked, "What's your favorite day of the week?"  I was speechless.  I didn't have an answer.  I know my favorite color, my favorite animal, and favorite book (for that day).  This little girl was waiting for my answer so I asked her what her favorite day was.  She told me Wednesday, very quickly and with confidence.  I wanted to ask why but her neighbor starting sharing his favorite day.  

She was waiting for my answer.  At first I said Monday.  I thought, I like fresh starts.  Then I said Friday and thought I'm tired but love the feeling I made it through the week and have time at home ahead.  Then I said Saturday.  It's a whole day with my family without feeling like I have to get ready for the week ahead.  After all those answers I didn't know if I had a favorite day of the week.  

I went about my lunch duty and the afternoon and thought the question had left me but I drove home thinking about it again.  Right now, Tuesday is my favorite day because I get to connect with friends via Slice of Life.  Do I need a favorite day?  

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community.

1 comment:

  1. Who needs a favorite day when you have so many great reasons for loving different days? And I'm wondering why your student liked Wednesday best!

    ReplyDelete