Thursday, June 28, 2018

Inspector Flytrap

Inspector Flytrap by husband and wife duo Tom Angleberger and Cece Bell grabbed my attention right away with their front cover.  I wanted to know more about a skateboarding, tie wearing, magnifying glass holding, big mouthed venus flytrap.  I love plants.  I know the venus flytrap has interesting eating habits.  I was intrigued.

I began browsing the book and found out there are four parts and after reading the book I would call these adventures; four separate stories within the book.  Perfect for early readers who need support with stamina and comprehending longer stories.   I enjoyed the illustration support within the stories and the color hues of gray and green.  While reflecting about my reading I discovered the illustration color choice helped me focus on the text more as a reader.  I wonder if it does for students?  Something for us to explore as readers next year.

Inspector Flytrap is a fussy detective.  He only likes to solve BIG DEAL mysteries and can turn some mysteries away if they don't meet that criteria.  His assistant is Nina the Goat.  She helps him travel, think, and sometimes eats clues.  She even ate the phone that brings them their cases.    As I was reading, I started to predict the trouble she could get into and laughed as she caused problems while they worked on a case.  Nina the Goat requires patience and close supervision.  The dialogue between these two characters will make readers smile and giggle.  


No comments:

Post a Comment