Tuesday, July 17, 2018

What's that sound? {Slice of Life}



thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------

I'm riding my my brand new bike and thinking.  There's a strange sound.  My bike is just two weeks old.  It's been a great ride and smooth.   I'm ignoring the sound.  This path between two suburbs is beautiful and well planned. We've been riding for a bit and I look at my watch to find out 12 miles.  This is my longest bike ride yet with three more to go.  Maybe the sound will go away.  It's been a great ride and smooth.   This path between two suburbs is beautiful and well planned.  

thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------
thwap ... -----------

The sound didn't go away.  My husband's just ahead of me.  I'll ask him is something is rubbing on something at the stoplight and let him know about the sound.  

I tell him about the sound.  He tells me to ride ahead of him and he'll listen for it and then without me moving he says you have a flat tire.  I look down and I do.  I'm so puzzled by the sound still.  It didn't pop.  It's not hissing like a slow leak.  There's a rhythm to it.  A beat of sorts.  We peddle a bit up the path and pull over.  

Lucky for me - he cycles.  He has on the bike; ready to go tool kit and an extra tube that worked enough to get me back the three miles to the van.

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for fostering this writing community.



3 comments:

  1. Oops. I predicted the cause as I "heard" your sound. Glad you had a pro nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressed that you were able to still ride so far on a flat tire! That couldn't have been easy. How frustrating with a brand new bike too ... but you will never forget that rhythm of sound. thwap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How annoying to have a flat! Thank goodness you weren't alone and were able to "fix" it enough to get back to the car. Hopefully your wheel didn't get bent out of shape.

    ReplyDelete