Saturday, August 4, 2018

Lizzie Murphy Queen of the Diamond {Poetry Friday}



Lizzie Murphy
Queen of the Diamond


Why did you want to play baseball in 1900?
Best form of entertainment

How did you get started?
I played ball with my dad and brother

What was your first game experience?
I was bat girl at 8 years old

How did you get to play?
My brothers team forgot a team ball

So what?
I had one and I negotiated playing time

Did you ever play on a team officially?
Two teams at 15 years old

Were you still playing with only boys?
Yes

Did your parents approve?
No, my mother tried to talk me out of it

Why didn't that work?
I couldn't sit and watch the game

Did you play professionally?
Yes, for 17 years

Was it easy?
No, at first they wouldn't pay me

Did that change?
Yes, I advocated for myself
Five dollars a game, same as the men

What were your major accomplishments?
first woman to play major league exhibition game
played on National and American all star teams



I'm continuing my study of the book Poems are Teachers How Studying Poetry Strengthen Writing in All Genres by Amy Ludwig Vanderwater.   Each week I will let you know the technique of the week I've played with and a thought or two about the process.  

"..we can also make something new from days gone by."   Amy Ludwig Vanderwater


This week was Listen to History and I knew right away I wanted to find a softball picture book in our house and try to make something new from it.  Queen of the Diamond The Lizzie Murphy Story by Emily Arnold McCully is the one I could easily find in my teenagers bedrooms.  I reread this picture and was instantly reminded how important history is to show us growth, strength, and risk taking individuals that made a difference for us today.

As I read this picture book I found myself collecting short phrases to chronically tell Lizzie's story.  However Amy's Try It prompts lists questions to spark some felling and emotion about the history.  I decided to use the prompt, If you could bring someone from this time period to life, what would you ask?


Thank you Mary Lee at A Year of Reading for hosting Poetry Friday this week.

7 comments:

  1. Poetry Friday is a state of mind, not a day of the week. (Ooh! I think I'll go to Canva and make a graphic of that quote I just made up!!)

    The only thing I'd change about this poem is letting the reader know the name of The Queen of the Diamond. Maybe even in your title. I love that you interviewed her from the future and put her answers in the form of a poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Mary Lee, I went back and made a title revision. As soon as I read your comment I agreed. Most poems stand on their own without my little narrative underneath.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating story and fun format!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you--I learned about someone new today. What a fascinating story she has to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are trying out the poem lessons from Amy's book. I thought from the title it might be about one of your daughters, but quickly realized it wasn't. Maybe someday you could write a poem about their life in softball. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea... I have certainly watched them lots and could probably ponder a small anthology, okay mini anthology.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love this for many reasons - it is a wonderful poem and format. I also love the learner in you that inspires others. Love how you share your thinking / learning process for writing this poem. Great subject too!

    ReplyDelete