Thursday, February 21, 2019

All Birds Have Anxiety by Kathy Hoopman {Mental Wellness}

Anxiety.  I'm hearing this word more frequently in references about student behavior and performance.  I'm hearing it from educators and parents.  It's starting to worry me a bit - anxiety as a diagnosis needs a doctor's evaluation.  I wonder if it's being over generalized and if anyone else thinks maybe we need to find moments to slow down and adjust our expectations in education currently.

All Birds Have Anxiety by Kathy Hoopmann is a great book for someone wanting to understand the multifaceted aspects of anxiety and learn some coping strategies.  I found it fascination to read about a mental health topic in detail while looking at beautiful photographs of birds in nature.  It was relaxing.  It was also informative and I could see the anxiety information portrayed by the bird image.  I think this is a fascinating way to present information to someone either wanting to know more or trying to understand what they are feeling.  I also think this book could help everyone understand the complexity of anxiety and maybe distinguish it from feelings of anxiousness.


"Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act." (mental health.gov) I hope you find this post helpful in supporting mental wellness. "Wellness is an approach to preventing illness and prolonging life as opposed to emphasizing treating diseases." (dictionary.com)  Let's be proactive in and out of our classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment