Wednesday, January 29, 2020

#nf10for10 Sneak Peak {Nonfiction Picture Book Challenge}

January has been rolling right along here in the midwest without any snow days and time just got away from me.  I woke up this week and realized Cathy Mere and I were a bit late in sharing we are to host another year of Nonfiction Picture Book 10 for 10.  A fun day of readers sharing their 10 must have nonfiction picture books.  We'd love to have you join us on February 10, 2020.  Details to come about how to join us.


Snow Leopard Ghost of the Mountain by Justin Anderson is a sneak peak for my Nonfiction 10 for 10  list.  I can't wait for Cathy to see my little hint here...I bet she's still thinking about her collection of books to share.  

This book is illustrated with soft warm tones that I found quite enjoyable to spend time.  They made me pause my day and slow down my reading.  The story takes place in the Himalyan mountains as a zoologist searches for the snow leopard.  Readers will find this narrative story filled with language that is descriptive and informative.  In reading about a snow leopard's paws; "They are huge - it's as if she is wearing shoes that are much too big!  They help her to spread her weight and travel across the deepest snow without sinking."  I can really visualize the snow leopard staying on top of the snow.

Most pages have a blurb of more direct informational text to inform readers.  It's in a smaller font and often at the bottom.  I love that it's set aside and this book could be read with just the narrative, just the informational and both.  There's more information for readers about conservation for these creatures and an index with internet links to learn more and help with their conservation.

Thank you Alyson at Kid Lit Frenzy for helping us enjoy and celebrate nonfiction books all year.

No comments:

Post a Comment